Cat dies following garage fire

Channahon man escapes home uninjured on Friday

CHANNAHON — No people were injured in a Channahon house fire that took the life of a house cat Friday afternoon.

According to a department release, the Channahon Fire Protection District was dispatched to the fire at 25754 S. Fieldstone Path in Channahon at about 12:35 p.m. When crews arrived, they saw a two-story residential structure with fire and smoke showing from the north side of the garage and smoke from the west side of the home.

Additional area crews from MABAS Division 15 were summoned at about 12:40 p.m. for mutual aid.

Fire crews arriving on scene accessed the northside end of the garage and observed a well-involved attached garage, while others inside the home reported obscured smoke conditions on both floors of the home.

Firefighters used multiple hose lines to bring the fire under control. The fire was reported as under control at about 1:30 p.m., and was extinguished at about 2 p.m.

Fire and water damage were reported throughout the garage, while smoke and heat damage were reported inside the home.

At press time, no cause was determined, but the fire appeared to be accidental in nature. No damage estimates were immediately available. Fire investigators from MABAS 15 were called to the scene to assist in the investigation of the fire.

A male occupant of the building evacuated without injury, and no firefighters were injured. A house cat at the home at the time of the fire died, however, the release said.

The Channahon Fire Protection District received mutual aid from Troy, Minooka, Coal City and Morris. Additional agencies providing assistance included Channahon Police Department, ComEd and Nicor.