Mostly Cloudy
63°FMostly CloudyFull Forecast

Callahan rules woman’s death as suicide

Coroner: Cause of death was result of carbon monoxide

Published: Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2012 3:46 p.m. CDT • Updated: Thursday, Dec. 6, 2012 8:03 a.m. CDT

Grundy County Coroner John W. Callahan has released the findings of the investigation into the death of Charisse Kotowski, the Morris woman found in her home on Nov. 16, 2012, after a house fire.

Callahan states the actual cause of death was carbon monoxide intoxication due to inhalation of smoke and soot as the result of a house fire.

This was determined after a forensic examination and toxicology testing.

Callahan ruled the death to be a suicide based on the investigation by the coroner’s office, Morris Fire Department and Morris Police Department.

“This is a very tragic ending for someone having difficulties in life,” Callahan said. “I would encourage anyone having difficulties to reach out to family or the appropriate agency for assistance.

“Especially this time of year when Holidays are approaching, and the anxiety that is brought on by all the activities or the emptiness that may be felt from the loss of a loved one in the past, may make someone feel hopeless. One may feel like there is no place to go, but there is always hope, either someone or an agency can be there for you.”

Callahan reminds residents that, locally, one may call the Grundy County Mental Health Department at (815) 941-3138 for assistance or a referral to a more appropriate agency.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Morris Daily Herald.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all MDH instances for analytics purposes.

Jalopy Fest 2014

More videos »