Overcast
73°FOvercastFull Forecast

Fire damages Morris home

Blaze that displaces family caused by faulty dishwasher

Published: Thursday, Dec. 6, 2012 1:38 p.m. CDT • Updated: Friday, Dec. 7, 2012 5:26 p.m. CDT
Caption
(Herald Photo by Christina Chapman)
Smoke obscures a firefighter seconds after he breaks out a second-floor window to vent the home at 1255 Trend Drive, Morris, which was heavily damaged by a noon-hour fire Thursday.

Firefighters were able to save a dog from a house fire on Trend Drive Thursday, but a cat was lost in the blaze.

The fire at 1255 Trend Drive in Morris did not injure any people, but made the home uninhabitable for owner Dennis Bryant and his family. The fire was caused by a malfunction in the dishwasher, said Bob Wills, assistant fire chief for the Morris Fire Protection and Ambulance District.

Wills estimated about $100,000 worth of damage — $70,000 in the home and $30,000 in contents. The call came in a little before 12:30 p.m. and the fire was under control within 10 minutes.

One of the females of the home was transferred to Morris Hospital for anxiety issues, said Wills.

Neighbors said Muddy Paws Pet Spa operated out of the home. According to the business website, the pet salon was located in the lower level of the residence.

"I was driving on Park Boulevard when I saw flames shooting out the back of the house," said Gwen Tuttle, who lives about a block over from the home.

Family members and neighbors watched from across the street as smoke poured from the garage and windows of the home. Firefighters were on the roof breaking second-floor windows to release smoke.

A woman wearing little more than her coat cried from the street as she watched firefighters try to save her home. The family appeared to have two dogs out of the house with them.

"They're really nice people, it just breaks your heart," Tuttle said.

Tuttle said the woman of the home said she had been sleeping when she came downstairs to prepare for an appointment and smelled smoke.

Firefighters were able to enter the inside of the home shortly before 1 p.m. and insulation from the ceiling could be seen falling to the floor of the home.

Morris, Minooka, Coal City, Channahon, Braidwood, Wilmington, Newark and Lisbon fire departments all assisted, said Wills.   

"Everybody did a great job here," he said. 

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Morris Daily Herald.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all MDH instances for analytics purposes.

Video of the escort for Marine Lance Cpl. Steven Hancock

More videos »