Red Cross seeks nominations to honor local heroes
The American Red Cross of Chicago is accepting nominations to honor local heroes.
The heroes will be recognized at the 12th annual Heroes Breakfast on April 30. The Red Cross honors community members who have demonstrated heroism through extraordinary acts of courage or kindness. To nominate a hero, visit redcross.org/chicago/heroes or call 312-729-6388. Nominations are due Jan. 31.
Candidates must live or work in Cook, DeKalb, DuPage, Grundy, Kankakee, Kane, Kendall, Lake, McHenry or Will counties, or Jasper, Lake or Newton counties in Indiana. The heroic act must have taken place on or after Jan. 1, 2013.
Nominations are accepted in the following categories:
• Adult Good Samaritan: an individual who courageously and selflessly responded to a significant crisis;
• Blood Services: an individual or organization who promotes blood donation awareness;
• Citizenship: an individual who showed concern and worked to improve the safety and well being of others;
• Community Impact: an individual who displays leadership and commitment by making a positive and significant impact in society;
• Disaster Relief: an individual who exhibited heroic efforts in response to a natural disaster or emergency situation, providing relief to victims through financial or voluntary assistance;
• Emergency Medical Assistance: an individual who provided medical assistance including CPR and/or first aid to a person or people in need;
• Firefighter: a firefighter who acted above and beyond the call of duty, in response to an emergency situation or through an ongoing commitment to the community;
• Law Enforcement: a police office or law enforcement official in response to an emergency situation or though an ongoing commitment to the community;
• Military: an active, reserve, ROTC, retired member of the Armed Forces, or a military supporter;
• Nurse: a licensed and practicing nurse, nursing student, or retired nurse in response to an emergency situation or through an ongoing commitment to the community;
• Youth Good Samaritan: an individual who courageously and selflessly responded to a significant or unexpected crisis.