MORRIS – Multiple area fire districts assisted the Morris Fire Protection and Ambulance District as it battled a house fire early Sunday morning in Morris that caused hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage.
On arrival just before 4:30 a.m., fire companies were confronted with a heavy fire that reached the first, second and attic floors of a home at 800 Michael Drive, Chief Tracey Steffes said in a phone interview Monday. The fire was declared accidental by MABAS Division 15 Fire Investigators and appears to have started from something in an outside garbage can, he said. The fire began on the west side exterior garage wall and spread.
No one was injured but residents were in the home at the time of the fire, and the occupants where awaken by smoke detectors. When firefighters arrived, the occupants already were outside, Steffes said.
Estimated damage is $350,000 with $5,000 in damage to another home located to the west. The estimate also includes damage to a car parked at the residence. The volume of fire and the size of the home created a challenge for firefighters.
The first arriving fire companies were able to contain the fire and save a large amount of the structure, Steffes said in a news release.
“Chief [Bob] Wills and I are extremely proud of the men [and] women of our fire district,” Steffes said in the news release. “The undamaged portion of this structure shows how training pays dividends.”
Minooka, Coal City, Lisbon and Seneca fire districts assisted at the scene Sunday. The fire investigators where comprised of members from Morris, Troy, Coal City and Elwood fire districts, and the Plainfield Police Department.